7/23/08

KURA REO

Well, the time now is 8.45pm - and I am sitting here at the Tari reflecting on my first ever KURA REO A ROHE as Kaiwhakangangahau (yes - this was the first one I have ever done as a pouako / co-ordinator / kaupapa kaimahi) and I would like to share the following highlights:

1. Sunday 20 July 2008

We hosted our first group of overnight manuhiri here at the base. These whanau are the kaiawhina from Te Wairoa Kohanga Reo.

2. Monday 21 July 2008
Slept in. Cooked breakfast.
Was late to the marae as I had to wait for someone to come here to pick up me, the whiteboard & all the rauemi (including the work books) for the hui. Definitely need to work on my personal organisation & management skills.

Powhiri was a bit late, but went well. First workshop - Tikanga o te Marae - presented by Matua Tiwana & Whaea Yvonne Aranui. Second workshop - Te Wero - presented by Matua Hone & Whaea Alison.

One super major disappointment. Nearly a quarter of those who were registered to attend were a no show - and phone calls to their kohanga reo resulted in only a handful being contactable. It appears that some whanau had the wrong date, and others weren't sure if they should be there (even though they registered and I replied.) Super major disappointment because the spaces that were left unfilled could have been filled by other whanau who had approached me after registrations had closed and I told them that there was simply no room. Thank goodness a couple of whanau turned up without announcement or registration.

In every Whai i te Aratuapae Wananga when we spoke about ways in which the kaupapa could
support whanau & kaimahi develop their reo, KURA REO was a resounding NEED. Whether the venue or timing was not conducive is yet to be ascertained, but with the kura reo over, I am still to hear word from those whanau who registered and who did not show. But, hei aha ... I'm not angry - kua papouri ke.

3. Tuesday 22 July 2008
There are several (expensive - I might add) mistakes in the workbook ! Shock horror ! This is definitely something I will work on. Well at the end of the day it cost me $70 worth of chocolate & ice cream.

Classes went well. Well at least I enjoyed them. There are some really awesome whanau out there, some of whom I have never met before but whom I will never forget. A few other little hiccoughs here and there but otherwise a very productive day for me.

Yet more last minute whanau, but still cool.

4. Wednesday 23 July 2008
Because of the programme it was a somewhat shorter morning with less time. Tried a different plan of attack. Another small rainstorm of minor problems, but again otherwise fine.

If I was to summarise my thoughts of this hui in one word it would be - Satisfactory. Alot of those who attended are interested in having another one in the near future, and if we can we will. I have definitely learnt alot about how to organise these hui and to run them (or at least what not to do), something I look forward to sharing with whanau once the boys and I do our final synthesis of the feedback.

Last word for this kaupapa -
The kaupapa is our rock & our foundation
All we need do is hold onto it and drown in the Reo
Stop fighting it ! Korero Maori !

No comments: